Metropolia students and staff members may use the cloud services of Google and Microsoft:
Google Workspace for Education
Microsoft Office 365 Education
Here're the steps how to deploy the services for the first time:
- Wait for the activation of the account (Google 2-4 hours, Microsoft 2 hours)
Sign in with your Metropolia account, in the form of email@example.com (not with your email address)
Terms of service
Terms of the Metropolia cloud services let you know what kind of material you are not allowed to upload to the cloud services. You have to take the terms seriously. They have been scrutinized and acknowledged by the Metropolia lawyers and the Metropolia President and therefore apply to all Metropolia students and staff members who have deployed the services.
File sharing and data security
When you share files in Google and Microsoft cloud applications, follow these instructions to ensure date security:
- When you share a file or folder to a Metropolia user (staff, student, stakeholder groups, etc.) use her Metropolia cloud service account, not an external email address.
- Access rights to cloud services are available to all Metropolia users by following the instructions above. If there is a problem, please contact Helpdesk. If you encounter a problem, do not bypass it by sharing materials from the cloud service to an external email address.
- When you share a file or folder to a member of an external partner organization, use the email address that she has in her own organization (employer or school) instead of her gmail address or other private email address.
- Do not share files or folders in such a manner that anybody who has a link can access the file or folder. E.g. in Microsoft cloud services, do not select the Anyone with the link option. Instead, select the Specific people or the People in Metropolia Ammattikorkeakoulu Oy with the link option.
More on cloud services' data security
When you share cloud service files to people who are not Metropolia users, share the files to Metropolia cloud service accounts only.
Good to know
More info on cloud services is at New Online Tools.
- Created by Petri Silmälä, last modified on 20.2.2023