Basic View and Login
Skype for Business is already installed on your Metropolia workstation. It can be found under Windows programs as Skype for Business. Usually no separate login is required on Metropolia Windows workstations. Should the computer request a username and a password, login using your Metropolia email address, e.g. jane.smith(at)metropolia.fi.
You can also install Skype for Business on your home computer (Helpdesk takes care of installations on Metropolia computers). If you do this, Skype requests a username and a password to log you in.
- Enter your user name in the Username field as pk\username - e.g. pk\mattim
- If Skype for Business claims that there is an "Error connecting to server", check Skype's server settings.
- If you receive a message about a new connection and its trustworthiness, check the box "Always trust this server, do not show me this again".
- In the Skype start windows you can set your presence status: available, busy, etc.
- Notice that your Skype for Business status depends also on your calendar: calendar items change your status automatically to Busy.
- However, you can change your status manually should you want to.
Announce your status
By setting your presence status you let your contacts know whether you are available or not. You can set your status either before signing in to Skype (see the picture) or any time when in Skype. If a meeting or other event is current in your calendar, Skype for Business changes your status automatically to Busy for the duration of the event. If, however, you have set your status in the calendar to Available for the duration of an event, Skype does not change your status to Busy.
- Available: You are online and you can be contacted by chat, phone, video call, and so on.
- Busy: You are currently on the phone or in a meeting. This information is updated also in your Outlook calendar.
- Do Not Disturb: You see only contact requests from your team members.
- Be Right Back: You are away from your computer for a moment only.
- Off Work: You are not at work and you cannot be contacted.
- Appear Away: Automatic status change. Your computer has not been used for a while and Skype shows you as away.
The basic view
- Below you can see the basic view of Skype for Business. (Contact names have been removed from the picture. Normally they are shown next to each contact's photo.
- In the "What's happening today" field you can enter text that is shown to all Metropolia users and your other Skype for Business contacts. This way you can tell your contacts about your task for the day.
- You can also let other users know your location in the "Set your location" field.
Add a new contact
1 In the upper right corner of the contact information field there is an icon with a person and a plus sign. Click on the icon.
2 You can choose whether to add a Metropolia contact (Add a Contact in My Organization) or a contact from outside of Metropolia (Add a Contact Not in My Organization).
3 In the search field, enter the name of the person. If you add a contact from another organization, enter her email address.
4 Right-click the name of the person. You can choose whether to add the person your Favorites, to general contacts list, or another group.