No Sound in Windows 10. What to Do?
Volume control and mute
At the bottom right corner of the screen there are small time and date icons.
Volume setting icon in the system tray.
Is the computer sound on mute?
If the sound is on mute, there is an x next to the speaker icon.
How to unmute the sound?
1. Click on the speaker icon to open the setting windows.
2. Click on the speaker icon. The x mark is changed to curves.
Is the volume down to zero?
1. Click on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner.
2. If the volume control is grayed out and the number is 0, there is no sound.
3. Put the cursor on the slider.
4. Drag the slider slowly to to the right to change the volume.
If the computer has a speakers or headphones connected
- If speakers are connected, check to make sure that the power cable is in the wall socket and that power is turned on to the speakers. How to turn on power varies between different models.
- Some headphones have their own volume control on the cord. Try changing the volume wearing the headphones.
- Make sure that the speaker' or headphones' cable is plugged in to the computer. Depending on make and model, the connector could be a USB connector or a traditional round headphone plug. If the speakers or the headphones are connected with the traditional plug, the plug should be inserted into the round green port on the computer.
Control Youtube volume and set sound on mute as follows:
1. Put the cursor on the Youtube video window.
2. A control bar appears underneath the video window with a volume control and a loudspeaker icon in it making muting possible.
Sound in laptops
Depending on make and model, laptops have their own volume controls. In some laptops volume can be controlled with a touch panel or ordinary buttons located between the keyboard and the screen. In some models volume can be controlled with the function (F) keys located at the top of the keyboard. Find among the F1-F12 keys the ones with a loudspeaker picture on them. If you find a key (it could be F8) with a loudspeaker icon and an arrow pointing up next to it, that could be the volume control. To use it, hold down the Fn key (at the bottom left in the laptop keyboard) while pressing the forementioned function key several times until volume goes up.